Tuesday, February 21, 2006

define:Psychosomatic - Google Search

define:Psychosomatic - Google Search


Here are a few of my favorite things.....NOT REALLY.

This is the manifestation of physical symptoms resulting from a mental state.

So. again we are left with- which came first, the chicken or the egg. And this is a huge philisophical divide, because if you believe the mind affects the body, rather than the body affecting the mind, then you think that people have powers of thinking that allow them health or illness. In Gabor Mate's book, WHEN THE BODY SAYS NO, he yips about how certain negative personalities have diseases that are more common than in "normals". So mind is the cause of disease. In my little corner of the world, I tend to disagree. I hold that chemicals are emitted in certain disease states that affect the personality. I come back to how children act differently before they manifest clinical symptoms of disease. This to me is proof that I am correct. I have raised three kids. I was witness to this. I remember one day when my son was one, he was screaming and banging his head on the floor. He cried, would not settle, would not eat, and was not his normal, cheery happy baby self. The next morning when he broke out into chicken pox spots, he was much calmer. I phoned my mom, delirious with joy, because quite frankly I thought my child was having a nervous breakdown- AND ALL HE HAD WAS CHICKEN POX. Dancing happy feet!!!

Maybe the moods and depression that are so often seen in Mr. Mate's Rheumatoid Arthritis patients are a result of circulating cytokines wreaking havoc in the brain, desperately trying to tell the person in their very own chemical way to lay low, because you are getting sick.

Why is there a Journal Of Psychosomatic Medicine, anyway? And why do people believe in this crap.

Now that levels of pro-inflammatory cytokines correlate accurately with self reported mood scores as was mentioned in an earlier post, maybe we can nuke this sick and twisted idea once and for all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home